Friday, May 27, 2016

Random Friday


We've found ourselves immersed in a bit of spring time nature in motion this week.  First we caught these two moths hanging on a chrysalis--or cocoon as they are moths (Promethea) I believe?  We weren't really sure what was going on, but eventually I had to guess that the female was emerging and while unable to yet fly, it seemed that a male came to claim her as a mate?  Whatever the story, they stayed together on the cocoon/chrysalis all afternoon and into the evening.


Then, after watching a pair of Cardinals in our garden for what seems like forever, I finally found their nest!  It is buried deep within our hedges, and after following the male into the hedge, I found the female there (can you find her below?) and eventually saw her head up to the left where there was a nest!  Unfortunately, the nest is quite high and I can't really get a looksee, but I did find some fun Cardinal facts while looking for information about them.  I'm sure I looked comical poking around in my hedges this way, especially after climbing around in the forsythia photographing moths the day before...


We also came upon a snake while running this morning.  I believe it is an eastern milk snake.  Some members of my running party were not nearly as excited about finding him as I was.


Our baby chicks are doing well, getting feathers and stretching their wings!


And lastly, not mother nature related, but Mpix was having a print sale and I finally got an order in to take advantage....at 11:57pm on the last day.  I don't know why it is so hard for me to get myself together, but looking forward to finally starting a new album for 2016.



Have a great weekend!



10 comments:

Sarah Carletti said...

Lovely finds! The whole moth thing must have been amazing to witness! Hope you have a great weekend.

Snap said...

Funn post! A little bit of everything from the moths, to the cardinals, to the snake, to your chicks! Have a great week.

Maggid said...

Your photos are worth looking at again & again . . . happy new album to you.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, lovely images. The captures of the moths are awesome. The snake is cool. Wonderful post. Happy Friday, enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!

Robin said...

I'm in awe of the moth and envious of your find, and of your photography! You entire week is great, even the snake.

Tanya Breese said...

it is so exciting to see a butterfly or moth emerge! i would like to see the little milk snake too, he is not at all scary! have a great memorial weekend!

Evelyn S. said...

The photo of the chick is beautiful! I, too, took advantage of the Mpix offer...uploaded 180 photos of our youngest son's wedding (almost 3 years ago!) so they can look through the photos I curated from FOUR CD's the photographer gave them. It was an overwhelming task and I certainly didn't plan to do that after paying the photographer $3000 for the wedding day.

Love the "wildlife" you've captured in photos!

Ida said...

How fun to watch the moths. That would be fascinating.
Cool shot of the snake and a pretty photo of your chick.

Tomoko said...

Hello!
It had to be fun to watch the moths. The wings of the moths are so beautiful.
Your header's photo is so lovely and so is your last photo with a pretty chick!!
Have a good day with your dears.

Barb said...

The photos are so interesting - I especially love the moths. I like that the children also were fascinated in them. Observation and participation in learning - they'll never forget.