Tuesday, January 5, 2016

1/52



I've spent a lot of time trying to hatch a plan for the new year...something different....exciting...flashy.
Last week as I scrolled through social media, I came across the post of a photographer I follow--someone living the opposite of my life, one full of travel and adventure and action.  I love to see his pictures and imagine this kind of life--hiking, surfing, skiing & exotic locales.

(Have you seen The Secret Life of Walter Mitty?  He's that photographer, and I'm more Walter Mitty.)

Anyway, under that post was another, someone philosophizing about the new year and asking what you would do if you had one year to live...and more importantly, what is keeping you from doing it now?

I sat staring at the screen, my eyes going from the flashy photographs to the one year to live question.  What would I do?  It was a little bit funny to find in the end that in my heart, truly, I would spend the next year exactly the same as the past one.  If I had only a year left, I'd spend as much time with my family and document it.  I'd want my children (the youngest in particular)  to have something to remember about their childhood, something to show how them much they were loved.

I have to admit, it was kinda life affirming to come to that conclusion.

This time won't last forever, and I'm sure my answer won't always be the same to this question.  And life, and these pictures of mine, won't be flashy or perfect.  But for now, this is what is most important to me.

All that other stuff can wait.



Linking in with Jodi


1 comment:

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

That's my motivation for blogging in a nutshell- to capture and treasure the everyday ordinary :)