Sunday, October 11, 2015

Documenting



Sometimes I struggle with a weekly portrait.  Not because I don't have enough pictures to share, certainly, but because perhaps I am unsure as to how I define a portrait.  I looked it up, and I got the traditional definition , and despite navigating through a few other terms (snapshot, candid) I didn't really connect with any of them.  Documentary is probably closest to what I want to achieve in the pictures I take.  I want a picture that tells me not just what my son (or kids) look like this week, but also a picture that tells me something more about what they are doing, what this week felt like for them.

The above two pictures were my favorites as far as the picture itself, and the autumn light this week has been delicious, but the photo below...this pretty sums up the past few days.  Misery.  Little man has just had something awful going on, and hasn't been afraid to share it with us.  Molars are coming through, vaccines last week, runny nose, and the worst diaper rash (starting to suspect a milk or dietary issue...).  I haven't been able to decide whether staying home (amid crying and refusal of naps) is any better than going out (and feeling like I am forcing him into 'fun' situations which obviously aren't fun at all.)  For this picture my arms were killing me, I had to put him down a minute.  And I had to have a picture in the pumpkin patch...right?

My poor little fella.


Today seemed to improve somewhat...but I certainly look forward to the times when he can tell me what is going on with words.  It's awful not to know how to help.









3 comments:

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh poor wee boy! Teeth and vaccinations is definitely a recipe for a sad face. Pip has still only got the one front tooth so we've got a while on the molars!!

meli said...

Aw poor little thing. Antonia has cut all her molars now, but I think they are still painful. Luckily vaccines aren't for another month...

Nasreen said...

I lean towards documentary as well, but if the photo turns out just beautiful as your favourite picks above did, all the better. I actually snapped a picture of my boy crying the other week, because that's a part of his babyhood too! Hope the improvement is continuing with bub.