Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What's Best



I'm not exactly the kind of person to get up on a soap box.  Sure, I've got a lot of beliefs, lots of ideals for my life and for raising my kids.  But my biggest belief stems from the idea that they are my beliefs.  I do not believe I have all the answers, or that I have the right to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't do. 

I'm not interested in a debate about what is best, or any of the 'mommy wars.'  But I will say it's pretty sad that we even need a World Breastfeeding Week.  Perhaps we have a warped society that has turned our bodies into something shameful.  Perhaps women just got tired of snide comments, or rude glares, or being asked to feed their babies somewhere else, and needed a way to foster education and understanding.

If you see a mother nursing, chances are she would rather have some privacy.  She would probably rather a nice cozy chair, a cup of tea, and some childcare for her other children.  But chances are she's doing the best she can, just like the rest of us, so try and cut her some slack.  It isn't always easy doing what we believe to be the 'right' thing, whatever that is for us, and I think if we could just see that part of ourselves in others, maybe the world would be a better place.

Now, go breastfeed your babies! Or bottle feed!  Or co-sleep!  Or Ferberize!
But try to remember that we are all just doing our best.  And it doesn't look the same for everyone.








1 comment:

amanda | wildly simple said...

It is my belief that there is nothing better you can do for your baby than what nature intended. Like you, I'm not exactly the kind of person to get on a soap box either, but I definitely have my own beliefs, standards, values, ideals. They are mine and I'm ok with someone else having theirs.. as long as they can respect that mine are mine and I respect theirs are theirs and we all get along peacefully. ;)
I support you and your growing baby. I've never heard of Ferberize. My baby is getting big at 8 years old, I'm behind the baby times!