Friday, May 29, 2015

That Seventies Summer


There've been several articles going 'round my Facebook feed recently with the gist of giving our kids now the kind of summer we had growing up.  While I do remember being free and unsupervised most of the summer, it was because my mother was working and I was a latchkey kid...so I don't think back on it with much fondness.  (Although there was that episode of Oprah about 'kids & divorce' I remember watching all by myself, shaking my head that my parents had made every mistake on the list.   At least I got some inadvertent free TV therapy.)

Most of my kids are finally getting to the age in which I can reasonably let them play amongst themselves (and hold them accountable for any mess or damage), but I've spent many a summer planning reading lists, arts and crafts, 'field trips' and the like...and I've enjoyed it.  Thoroughly.  Who knows, maybe I've been creating the summers I never had more for myself than my kids.  But this year, I'm going to try to let it go a little.

Okay, yes...I will try to let go...right after I plan a day trip to NYC based on all the great literature from our past summer reading lists:  A Cricket in Times Square, Stewart Little, The House on East 88th Street, Harriot the Spy, James and the Giant Peach, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler...I've even got a picnic plan for Central Park based on foods from the books...too over the top?  Too twenty first century helicopter parenting?  Too Pinteresty?  Too bad!






1 comment:

Carie said...

The field trip sounds AMAZING!! And you have to do the picnic too, it's not too Pinteresty it's perfect and the kind of thing that your children will remember and want to recreate for theirs 😀