Friday, March 13, 2015

Randomly



I have a very muddled ancestry.  My father's side has some Germans, and it's rumored that one bought land from William Penn, our state founder.  It is also rumored that he met his death in a suspicious pitch fork 'accident.'  My mother's hot blooded Italian side has a lot of pictures of guys that could be in 'The Godfather.'  But my husband, his mother is Irish through and through.  So at least my kids can claim the St. Patrick's day slogan this week, even though everybody's Irish on St. Patrick's day.

I am a complete corned beef fanatic.  Love, love, love it.  Yes, my mother-in-law has informed me the holiday and meal aren't really Irish.  But the hot blooded Italian in me doesn't care.

My baby is six months old now.  Damn.

After several long weeks of hand wringing and heated discussions, we have finalized surgery for my daughter's scoliosis...in less than two weeks.  Nerve wracking.  But today as the final details were coming together, I had the oddest occasions in which songs on the radio, people I met, topics that came up in conversation all reminded me of someone I lost long ago...and it felt like she was with me.  And everything was going to be okay.

One night this week the baby decided to sleep all night...my husband and I were up with coughs.
Of course.



Linking in with Nancy



6 comments:

Carol Z said...

Your pictures are fabulous. Keeping your daughter in my prayers. Four orthopedic operations and one neurosurgery -- so I know the anxiety of the patient. Can't imagine what my parents went through with my first surgery when I was in college.

Laura Darling said...

Everybody is Irish on St. Patrick's Day! Good luck with your daughter's surgery. I have scoliosis too, and while I wore a brace I didn't need the surgery, can only imagine how scary that is!

Barb said...

What a sweet baby - indeed he's Irish (when he's not Italian or German)! Good luck with your daughter's surgery.

amanda | wildly simple said...

Darling photo, Brandi!
Our younger kids are celebrating leprechauns and having corned beef and green food today with their auntie, cousins, and granny today.. we're just a wee bit Irish ourselves. ;)
Surgery is nerve wracking, this past year was the first time any of our kids were ever operated on (and we ended up with two!) I'll be thinking of you guys and hoping for a speedy and successful recovery.

Marie said...

Love your post! I am English, Irish, German, Scottish and French! (Don't have even a smattering of Italian...your comment about the photos of men that could be in The Godfather was cute!) I know what you mean about embracing that Irishness. Mom & I went to Ireland together in 1996. Oh, glory, what an amazing trip!

Prayers for a very successful scoliosis surgery for your daughter! You will all be rejoicing when it is over...and how cute you and hubby coughed all night right when the baby decided to sleep all night! :-) Love the photo of the kids! too cute!

Carie said...

I'm mostly English with a bit of German and Scot somewhere distantly in the mix but my husband's family are Scottish but originally from Ireland which I think makes my girls Irish-ish-ish-ish-ish, but I don't think i even dressed them in green to celebrate, it's not really a big thing in England - your wee boy looks adorable though, and I hope your daughter's surgery goes well.