Tuesday, February 3, 2015

5/52


My baby is now twenty weeks old, though I've stopped counting weeks and moved on to a vague approximation of months.  I actually had to go to the calender to count the weeks out.  I'd blame my nonchalant generalizing of age on him being a fifth child, but I think I always did this.  Mostly because I was too tired to keep better track.

Other than the age generalization, there aren't too many things that feel the same about being a mother again. Most things feel completely different.  Where I once had total cabin fever in the first months with a newborn, I am now praying for snow days so I don't have to leave the house for the older kids' activities.  I no longer feel the need to prove that I can do it all, and am content to use my new baby as an excuse to get out of a multitude of things so I can have my leisurely mornings in bed with him.  And I feel absolutely no rush for rolling, starting solids, or clothes that make him look like anything other than a baby.

I do seem to embrace a certain amount of organization after each child, I can only guess out of necessity as I am at heart a total scatterbrain.  I can't manage to focus, though, wishing to do a bazillion photo projects (a 365? a p52? by himself?  with siblings?  with me? in the same place once a month?) and shaking my head sadly when I realize our tiny baby time is already gone and I'm just going to have to grab what I can....because as precious as this has been, I don't plan to do it again.

Linking with Jodi




5 comments:

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hi Brandi,
Baby toes! Nom, nom, nom!
That is Such a precious photo of you two.
:) m & jb

Nicki said...

He is a happy camper for sure. Enjoy every second - too soon they are off to grade school, high school and college. too soon!

amanda | wildly simple said...

The toes! Oh, the toes. This photo is a treasure, Brandi.

Carie said...

Oh he is gorgeous. And I think I'd have to go to a calendar to calculate Pip's age in weeks too - I know he's a smidge over 5 months old, and more than 20 weeks because he was born just before your wee man! And I don't have half the excuse. Well actually I have exactly half the excuse if we're counting in older children!!

Adrienne said...

As I watch moms these days documenting the 'ordinary' of every day with the iPhone or dslr, I have waves of jealousy...thinking of all I might have captured of my children if the price of developing film wasn't hanging over my head...or if a phone was readily available. Truth is that without much rhyme, reason or organization, I caught an awful lot. The camera came out for big events, but also sometimes just for the day to day. Maybe I was lucky that we were living over seas and far away from family...documenting just seemed important. I share all this to say that even though I sometimes feel I don't have everything I'd like...I surely do have enough. They will always know their childhood through my eyes - and heart. And that's what matters to me the most! LOVE that photo of you and the baby!!