Tuesday, October 14, 2014

One Month


I am now one month in and officially a 'new' mom...ya know, barely showering, unkept hair, stretched out wrinkled clothes that look fresh off the floor (or out of the hamper) to go over stretched out skin that is still trying to figure out what shape it will take now that the baby is out.  I have difficulty keeping track of the most interesting of conversations, let alone ones involving minecraft, recess, playdates or 'what's for dinner?'--usually happening simultaneously.  And bags under my eyes.  Ironically, this week also marks 14 years since I became a mom for the first time.  Strange how I'm back where I started in a way.

The babe is, on the other hand, completely adorable all the time, even while battling bouts of reflux--this gagging thing I've never seen in my other kids--and poor baby acne.  Yep, I've airbrushed his face again, but it's the sort of thing you can't go halfway on...and the sort of thing that will pass soon enough.  I just love his little cherub face.  He's sleeping better at night, which I'll take, even if the day light hours are less consistent.

I tried to leave the house for 'fun' over the weekend (vs. the necessities of the supermarket or diaper runs) and it was a bit of a challenge.  I want to be one of those baby wearing enthusiasts, but I can never seem to get it right.  I'm adjusting things constantly, shifting the baby and completely convinced he can't breathe or circulate his blood.  Yet I hate the limitations of strollers.  All this compounded by the fact that I bought a cute new Mary Poppins style carpet bag for diapers, wipes, camera, spare clothes for all the kids...and while it seemed like a great idea (and don't all the fashionable people cart around large handbags these days?) it is a completely unwieldy.  I look a bit of a fright with the combined effects.  Which might work out well for frightening away the other patrons at the corn maze I'm actually entertaining for this afternoon...before the rain comes and the temperatures drop (I tell myself)...and I will probably leave whatever is left of my sanity in there somewhere, too.

2 comments:

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Brandi, checked out your Instagram pix. You look wonderful. You have the New Mom look on your face that no amount of wrinkled clothes or unwashed hair can take away.

Blessings, m & jb

Carie said...

Aww he is just adorable! As for the baby wearing I found that it took a few tries to find a sling that really worked for my little ones as newborns (I've got a Close carrier now) and also it gets much easier when they get head control and can pop their heads out to have a look around - fewer worries about breathing! Oh and a backpack style changing bag - the girls gave it to me for my birthday in the summer and it's been brilliant!