Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Knowing


At some point today, I threw the kids out of the house with the instructions, 'Honestly, go play!'  They are old enough to have this freedom, although they don't always use it appropriately.  I've come outside to find them in some unwise game scenarios that could end in the ER (thanks to an oldest brother).  I know these are days of helicopter parenting and structured childhoods, and I certainly try to avoid one extreme over the other...but it is hard sometimes to let it go, to let them fall down & learn from their mistakes--to let them break windows, pay consequences, get hurt or cry.  Some parts of parenting come easily and obviously, like reading to your kids or getting them to eat properly...but other things that I know in my head, I don't quite get with my heart.  So yes, I usually watch them too closely...



and they always find me out.



Black and White Wednesday



7 comments:

Katarina said...

Cute shots of lovely kids! Yes, it's hard to give children freedom - we want to protect them, don't we?

Grace said...

Nice photos. I was always grateful for the watchful eye my mother keeps on me and my siblings. It makes me feel like she loves us very much. I don't think we would all have such a strong bond with her if she had just let us run wild doing whatever we felt like in the moment. In play yes, but in life, no. I think it helps children make better decisions knowing there is an adult who cares that they don't get into too much mischief keeping an eye on them :)

HansHB said...

A beautiful b&w serie, love it!
My post:
http://hanshb.wordpress.com/

HansHB said...

A beautiful b&w serie, love it!
My post:
http://hanshb.wordpress.com/

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hi Brandi,
I was a wild little kid. Always a dozen bruises up and down my shins. But, thankfully, never any broken bones. Whew!

augcott said...

Great shots!
Playing is a lost art.

Nicki said...

This thing called 'parenting' is much harder than it looks from the outside. It is so hard to step back and let them exercise their independence, to sink or swim, to make choices that hopefully do not result in a visit to the ER.

Fun pictures.