Wednesday, August 27, 2014

First Day


It is really hard to believe this day is here.  It is a day I have looked forward to for a long time, even though it comes with so much bittersweet emotion.  At first I would look forward to putting all the kids on the bus on those days when I struggled with being a stay at home mom...and those days were many.  Now for the past few months being pregnant, this first day is not just a bit of respite, but also a marker that my pregnancy will be coming to an end.  And that I will begin this journey all over again.

Of course, sending kids to school is not the end of parenting.  But I can say those first few years of raising a child are definitely the most exhausting and demanding...and in many ways perhaps the most important.  Watching them climb those bus stairs confident and excited, heading into the world...knowing this is just the beginning of their journey...that's pretty incredibly rewarding.  Prepping kids to go off into the world without me, that's what this is all about.  The way I parent my kids is with this in mind--that the goal is a well adjusted, responsible, independent member of society.  Eventually.

But thankfully, for now, they will come back home in the afternoon.








8 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Delightful topic and beautiful photography ~ happy day to you !

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Ida said...

Delightful shots of your kiddos on the 1st day of school. That happens next week for us.

The Lady Okie said...

Oh my. The last one where she's waving! Love it. Happy first day!

Melissa Hopper said...

I love the last photo!! Great capture and one for the memory books

Adrienne said...

My favorite back to school shots!! Each one very special...the one with the four of them really tugs at my heartstrings!

Pat said...

Cute shots. Love that last one.

Felicia said...

great images. Your youngest looks so excited.

Nicki said...

cherish these days - they pass too quickly.