Sunday, June 8, 2014

Peanut


We've had a rough weekend.  Friday night our dog, Peanut, got sick.  Calls to the vet gave us some advice, but within a short amount of time, he passed away.  The vet checked him out later and saw that a perforated ulcer was to blame.  Peanut had just been to the vet last week, and aside from the sudden onset of illness that evening, he hadn't had any of the signs.  He's been on medicine for the past two years for Addison's disease, medicine which can be very hard on the stomach--but the whole thing was quite a shock.  Luckily, it was late and the kids didn't have to see him in pain.  



Hopefully he is in a better place now, chasing lacrosse balls and snitching loaves of bread until his heart and tummy are content.


We used a rainy Sunday afternoon as excuse to go to the bookstore and start on some summer reading.  I picked up Dog Heaven at the recommendation of a friend.  It's pretty cute, and I hope will help some with our younger girls, who are upset and a bit confused.  I also picked up Love That Dog, because it just seemed right.  My son took it quite hard, I'm not sure if he'll read either book, but we'll see.  It's no small challenge to watch your children go through grief.  (Sat down to dinner after writing this, and my son commented on how good Dog Heaven was.  So, that's something!)


We will remember our dog fondly, and I know these things get easier in time.  Plus a little food therapy in honor of our 'Peanut Butter Puppy' did give us an excuse for peanut butter whoopie pies.  
Doesn't hurt to try.







3 comments:

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Oh, Brandi, it is always such a heartache when a well-loved companion dies. It took me 6 ½ years before I wanted another cat after Kirby died. I said to the Lord I wasn't gonna look for one. If He wanted me to have one, he's have to place it in my path. Hence, Josephina Ballerina. I will pray for your family in your loss. :(

Kathy McB said...

Ohhhh...I'm so sorry for your loss.

Adrienne said...

oh wow...just now saw this. So sorry - it is really hard to watch our children grieve. Thoughts with you all.