Thursday, May 29, 2014

Hurry


Well, here I am, at the last day of preschool.  I can't help but think, rather frantically, of all the things I should have done before this day.  I did, in fact, start making lists last week.  I'm not a very organized person, but I am pretty good at making lists.  Lists which I lose, forget on the kitchen counter, or disregard altogether...but, making them does make me feel just a bit more together.  And since this summer is perhaps a little more intimidating than others (being pregnant, and old, and tired...), I wish somehow, I could have magically accomplished all of it.  In truth, some of it has been done, but no matter what I had gotten too, it never would have felt like enough. 



Shop (for summer shoes, last bits of maternity needs, baby stuff, food, toilet paper, etc)
Shopping with the kids?  Nightmare.  I wish I could stock the fridge for the rest of the summer.

Clean out mudroom.
Stock with summer supplies, switch out bin of hats and gloves for swimsuits and towels (I think I can finally put winter behind me), and ruthlessly weed out and declutter.

Take the dog for check up at the vet.
Four kids and a dog in the exam room?  I've done it.  I don't want to do it again.

Find a book club, photography club, or maybe some prenatal pilates.
It's be great to have a little something on the side to look forward to.

Plant the garden.
Makes it easier when I can send the kids out to graze for lunch in the garden instead of dragging them to the supermarket.

Chore Chart
For the kids, and for me.  Perhaps a bit of daily accountability will help all of us keep this place together.

Reading List
I've got some good leads for the kids, but I'd like a stack for myself as well.  Swarming the adult section of the library or bookstore with all the kids is less than enjoyable.  But sometimes necessary.  I am a bit of a 'classics' junkie, and right now working my way through East of Eden.  Not what I expected.  This list has got me thinking.  As for my children, my son just finished To Kill A Mockingbird all on his own.  School isn't even out and I consider the kids' summer reading a fabulous success.

Hire a Cleaning Lady

Sleep
Yeah, I know, you can't bottle it up.

Relax
'Nuff said.


And now, I will try to make the most of my last 2 hours of alone time by rushing about to accomplish something while trying very, very hard to relax and enjoy it.



some more summer survival ideas



No comments: