Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Flaws

I came across a new blog the other day, and for some reason I was having a hard time getting it and its pictures to display.  While poking around, searching the internet for more about the author and the blog, I came across other links--ones which labeled the site 'annoying' and even 'dangerous' for putting forth a view of motherhood in too 'perfect' a way.  This was a little confusing to me, of course my not being able to even view the blog, but it got me to thinking...because I can see the point.  There are blogs I've followed, people I know on Facebook, who seem to know it all, do it all, and post pretty pictures of it all at the same time.  And yes, it can be annoying.  And at the same time I can't help but wonder if I don't do it sometimes, too...  


Our lives, like our pictures, are what we focus them on.  We can tell the world about the good--the fun times, the pretty pictures, or we can focus on the things that don't go our way--when our kids refuse to listen and break into a large, loud and mildly disruptive game of tag at the local arboretum, or won't cooperate for a family photo, or even pout among the tulips.  It happens to all of us.  The older I've gotten, the more I've begun to believe that the more perfect things seem, the less they are.  Because we all have those moments, and I think it can be hurtful to others if we pretend that we don't.  There is no perfect.  But sometimes it does help, for our own happiness, to focus ourselves on the good, the simple, the fulfilling things in our lives...and let everything else blur into the background.





5 comments:

barbara said...

Wise words! I used to follow that "perfect family blog" too, but it put more pressure to me as a mother, wife, blogger... All in a sudden I was thinking "am I good enough?" You're right: life is living your ups as well as your down and being human means not be perfect!
I love your second picture! You have a very nice family!

carol l mckenna said...

Loving BW shots for BWW and very meaningful post ~ I don't want to be perfect ~ drives one crazy ~ 'Spot on post.' ~ Happy Week to you ~ xoxo

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

HansHB said...

Lovely "famelyphotos, Perfect using b&w!
My post at: http://hanshb.wordpress.com/

Mitzi said...

Beautiful photos! I think perfection is way overrated. We aren't really suppose to be perfect, it is a goal we will drive ourselves insane attempting to reach. What matters most is that we put our best foot forward and do the best that we can. I don't think I've ran across that particular "Perfect Family Blog" which is probably a good thing. Remember, you are perfect, just the way you are. There really is no right or wrong.

Adrienne said...

Love this. I tend to shy away from "how to" and "watch us live our pinterst-perfect little life" blogs. I haven't been writing as much with my blog - which I miss...It's good for me to process my heart and thoughts. And share all sides of me. I am drawn to people/blogs that are gentle and where a certain vulnerability is evident. Those are the things that seem to touch my heart! Thanks for linking up! I love the hugging photo!