Tuesday, June 18, 2013

one hundred and sixty eight


I've got a gimpy chicken.  I'm pretty sure another of our hens went after her to make her gimpy, but now all the birds are very nasty with her.  Though she is limping about, she can put weight on the leg and doesn't seem that badly injured, but the continued attacks aren't helping her heal.  We've been trying to intervene, making sure she is getting food and water.  This morning I even spent time spraying away the other birds with a hose so she could eat on our back porch.  Finally, I wised up and put her in our fenced in pool area, where there is some grass and shade, hoping that she can have some peace.  Our poor girl.  She is getting cuddles, though.  If chickens actually like that sort of thing.


Then we twirled.  Cause that's what we do.


And then we started a paper mache project.  If all goes well, my son may be making a submission for a kids' day at our local arts festival next month selling masks.  This will mean a lot of paper mache...if only we could keep his sisters from stealing the balloons for his project.


8 comments:

She Who Carries Camera said...

I do hope it heals so it can go back with its friends (although, real friends wouldn't act that way! ;-) ) Those last two images are stunning!!

The Artful Diva said...

I didn't know chickens were so friendly !

Terri said...

Aww, my granddaughter is also a chicken hugger...I have high hopes she will be a vet some day.

lisa said...

Oh my! I adore the twirl shot! I'm glad you could isolate your gimpy hen. Hopefully she can heal...physically and emotionally (if chickens get their feelings hurt). The shot of the hen in the lap is precious.
Visiting from Tuesday Muse.

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

Love that you are giving your special chicken some space and time to just be. xo

Kim Cunningham said...

I love the image with your girl and the sweet chicken!

augcott said...

Awwww .. poor little chicken :-(

Hopefully she heals well.
Love the twirling shot ... well done :-D

amanda | wildly simple said...

These are such beautiful photos!
Summer and youth and fresh air at it's best.