Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thinking About The Process


After the eggcitement of finding our first eggs and watching the whole thing unfold, I've gotten to think about how detached from the process I've been all my life.  Eggs from a carton in the supermarket is something I've taken for granted forever, without thinking much about it.  Sure, I knew they came from chickens, but I don't know that I gave it any further thought.  

And now I have this whole new perspective.  

In fact, a few years ago when we first planted broccoli, I remember thinking...'huh...so that's how it grows...'  It's interesting how that can happen, that a woman can grow into her thirties eating broccoli on a regular basis yet not know how it comes into this world.  Interesting...and sad.  I'm happy, though, that I can create a different experience for my own children.  That they can grow up knowing what it's like to pick a fresh raspberry snack from the garden after the egghausting eggsperience of egghunts.



Linking with A Rural Journal

6 comments:

Buttons said...

Oh your children are going to thank you for this when they grow up and on their own. I know mine did. It is a good life for them. B

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Having your own eggs is so much fun. It still excites me, 2 1/2 years later!

Susan @ Sunflower Status said...

I am so happy that I grew up on a farm and knew where things came from, it does make you appreciate the process more.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

It's so wonderful to be connected to your food. It's only been the past 4 years or so that I've begun to really understand where my food comes from. I can't wait to share this with my future kids :)

Robyn said...

Brandi,
It’s important to teach our youth where food comes from. So many people think that milk, eggs, meat etc. is made at a store. Farmers and Rancher work everyday to produce food and fiber for our everyday living needs.

Great job teaching your children that planting a seed, caring for it through hard work and dirt under your fingernails can produce wholesome delicious food.

Nancy Claeys said...

It's a wonderful education for children to know where their food comes from.