Thursday, August 16, 2012

Embracing 12 Days


Our chickens like the garden.  We knew this would happen.  We didn't want to fence in the chickens, and we were willing to try things out before being forced to fence the garden.  So far the tomatoes have taken the worst of it, the bottom ones being pecked to bits.  Apparently the chickens are attracted to the color red?  That's a hard hit, because it looks like we are fighting blight or something and the tomato plants are looking terrible.  Otherwise, it's been ok...so far.  And it's kinda cute to see them in our little sunflower spot.

We've been feeding them some scratch (mostly corn and oats), the treat we've been using to 'make friends.'  But, we ran out of it a couple days ago...and the chickens obviously weren't very happy.  In fact, one of them came up on the back porch and looked in the window the other morning.  And then after photographing her, she left me a little present on the steps.  Now, you may say this is just chickens being chickens, but I can't help wonder if it wasn't chickens being...spiteful.  


We've got more scratch now.  And, I think they have forgiven us.  
But, it's kinda hard to tell with chickens.


           ...............................................................................

On a side note, I'd like to make a confession.  I'm tired of summer.  I'm weak.  I want out.  I feel horrible saying it, because I do love this time and we've really had a great few months...but I'm worn.  I'm snippy.  I'm lost in a corn maze in a Sooper Dooper Looper Tshirt.  (And I'm toting sandwiches, water and extra clothes.  I'm tired of toting it.)   I am really looking forward to a change.  


Sorry kids, but I'm counting down now...12 days until school starts.







Rural Thursday Blog Hop




9 comments:

Alexis said...

I really wish we could have chickens. After seeing your blogs about them it makes me want them. I realize they are probably a lot of work but you make it look easy:)

Tina Fisher said...

I'm hopping over from Embrace. Great job at getting yourself in there without being so in there. Love the way you did this!

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Great photos ~ love the chicken at the window ~ agree ~ I am ready for some cooler weather ~ yet don't want to wish my life away ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Pat said...

I love this series of photos. The sunflower patch looks like a great place for chickens and children to hang our.

Cari said...

I'm in love with your garden! Ours did not do so well this year, mostly because I was so beat down by OUR chickens attacking last year's garden!

Kara said...

You have an amazing garden! I think all of us Mom's are counting down til school... it's an end of August thing :)

Heidi said...

ha ha, I've really been enjoying your updates about the chickens! AND your garden, well let's just say I AM coveting, just a little :)

Nancy Claeys said...

Such a cute post -- and your chickens are pretty. You must not have a rooster?

Hang in there -- school and winter and yucky snow will be here before you know it. :)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Chickens don't hold grudges....for too long ;-)