Thursday, August 9, 2012

Embrace the Party Tricks


My husband, out of thin air, asked the other day if I remembered the children's book we had about a farm in Australia, one that mentioned hypnotizing chickens.  It's been in the attic since we renovated our house a few years ago, long before we had chickens of our own.  Which has only been a few months.  While it is an interesting book, it is a little long and I kinda tire of reading it.  Which would be why I never brought it back out of the attic.
Thanks, hon!

The hypnotism part of the story hadn't stuck with me, but as soon as he mentioned it, it stuck with the kids.  And so, I soon found myself fishing the book out of a box in the attic, and then we were watching youtube videos on the subject, and then the kids wouldn't rest until I managed to subdue a chicken with hypnosis and help them learn to do it themselves.   {Gently put them on their backs and stroke their 'chin'}


Interesting party trick, I guess.
But more like playing dead, perhaps?

So, that's what's going on in my neck of the woods. 
What's going on with you?


No chickens were harmed during this process.
In fact, afterward, we fed them lots of extra treats.


Good chicken.




Rural Thursday Blog Hop

15 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

This is hilarious! Totally trying it out on my chickens!

Lisa Lynn said...

Same here :) My friends are already highly amused by the antics of my chickens...will have to try this!

Heather said...

Oh goodness this is funny! I am sure my kids would love it...and me too actually :-)

My Journey With Candida said...

Well that is so cool!! As a kid, we raised chickens and I never heard of this. Great Post!

Do you happen to have the recipe for stuffing ghost peppers with the cream cheese.... Kind of just how long and at what temp you bake them. Oh and do you par cook the bacon first?

terrylee5151 at aol dot com

Wendy said...

Very cool! I had no idea :)

Nancy Claeys said...

If I can catch one of my chickens, I might try this. But what is the benefit? Lol.

Alexis said...

This is too funny! I have never heard of this.

tiarastantrums said...

haha - we do that to our baby chicks when we hatch them to check them all over!

Kara said...

That is so funny! I wish I had a chicken to try it.

Yolanda @ Chickens on the Moon said...

Haha how fun! I used to hypnotize my chickens. Another way to do it is very gently tuck their head under their wing (either one) and then hold the wing down and while holding them move them around in a big circle 10 times. Then put them down and they will stay like that for up to 2mins!

Tanya said...

ah, that's so funny...no i need to get a chicken to try this on!

raisingrainbows said...

seriously? you can do this? lol. awesome

Buttons said...

Very cool. Does it work on other animals do you know? B

Danielle said...

That is so funny!

Three Sisterz said...

That's hysterical! What a funny thing to do~thanks for sharing!



Linking up from Embrace the Camera.