Monday, July 30, 2012

Christmas in July


I've been taking portraits of my kids toward the end of summer as a way of renewing the pictures in my husband's office.  
An anniversary gift to chronicle these years as they pass.


Last year, I was hoping for a good group shot of our kids, but had a hard time getting them all to cooperate.  I only partially edited the set, and ended up canning the idea in my frustration.  But, when it came time for a Christmas card picture in the harried months later, I went back to the ones I had taken over the summer and managed to pull out something worthwhile.  

The weather, lighting and availability of everyone is just much better and more plentiful over the summer.  I'd prefer a holiday card with a lovely shot hunting for a Christmas tree, but that usually doesn't happen.  So this year, I decided to try summer again, if for no other reason than to have something in the files should I need it for the holidays.
Even if it is warm and summery.  
Which isn't really a bad thing come December.


I wanted to get the pets involved, and I can imagine a nice collage as a holiday card this year.  I am hoping for a new camera in the near future, so maybe I'll be able to do something different before the snow rolls around.  But, if nothing else, I've got a few happy reminders of family for the office.















2 comments:

Susan @ Sunflower Status said...

Oh I love the goldfish! Love the idea of updating the desk every year too.

Holiday cards with summer pictures can be especially fun when there's tons of snow on the ground! :-)

Young1 said...

I am loving the one of your daughter and the family dog it just gorgeous. The group shot is great too.