Friday, June 29, 2012

School's Out


 My kids have been off on summer vacation for almost a month.  The first thing we did on the last day of school was to pick up some books for summer reading.  And in addition to the already photographed swimming and firefly chasing, as well as eating (seriously, these kids put it down), we've been reading.  This year I have actually managed a few reading related activities.  Go me.  I'll put these here not to merely pat myself on the back, but to share a little of what has been fun for us.  I get so much inspiration, myself, from finding and reading about what has worked for others.


We visited a local art museum, inspiration taken...From the Mix-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  Now, we didn't manage to get to NYC as in the book (yet), our museum was small (and free! and air conditioned!).  Wouldn't you know, as soon as we walk in there is a statue of unknown artist not unlike the 'Angel' in the book.  And my daughter noticed.  I was so excited I let her spend all her money on a glass grasshopper from the gift shop.


Yes, I know, it's a grasshopper, but it is glass, and to try and help keep it safe I suggested a cage, as in A Cricket In Times Square.   And we made one from part of those cheap wooden puzzle/models from Micheal's that don't have any real instructions.  Someone did suggest going to Chinatown (I think they actually said 'Chinaland' or something slightly off that gave me a good chuckle)...either way, it's not something we have in these parts...and I'm cheap. But that sure would have been fun.  I should have worked in a dinner of some Chinese take out, too!


Then we took some provisions on an expotition, a la Winnie-the-Pooh, across the street, where we attempted to sail some bark and walnut boats...and let's just stretch that one to Stuart Little.  In fact, my daughter first wanted to call her boat The Wasp, which I only realize now is the name of the boat from the race in the book.  Darn that girl is good!  But, she settled on Lady of the Sea...despite our sailing them in a creek, and despite the fact that the boats which would actually float were quickly gathered up by their owners and not allowed to sail down the creek as planned.  Ah well.  She's displaying it in her room with her grasshopper cage.


So there you have it.  A month in and I'm pretty happy.  We've got peaches and bug catching for James and the Giant Peach, but I don't know anything about The Phantom Tollbooth (next on the list).  Hopefully, I can roll in more free air conditioning.  It's flippin' hot here. 



P52 with Kent Weakley
My apologies to those visiting from P52 as I took the challenge to a whole blog post as opposed to one nice picture, but there it is.  Happy summer!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Looks like you all are having a lot of fun and doing a lot of things this summer. I love the photo you liked up to P52 with the kids walking down the trail. I also really like the one of them reading together. Fantastic perspective!

nics cahill said...

Looks and sounds like you guys are having an awesome summer! Enjoy yourselves.

Donna said...

Love the picture of your girls in front of the painting. Adorable grasshopper.

{Shannon} said...

Looks like your kiddos and you are staying busy as well! Great photos!! What a beautiful place you live in! what area of the country?

Sarah Huizenga said...

Reading in the summer is the best!!

julie said...

love the photos - visiting from p.52. I especially love the kids in front of the painting at the museum! beautiful. And love that you are going on book-related excursions - such a good idea. and a fun way to incorporate learning. I hope to remember the idea and use it with my little boy when he gets a bit older!