Sunday, June 10, 2012

Catching Fireflies

 We've been staring out bedroom windows at bedtime for several nights now.  Tonight I came in to read stories only to find my girls singing 'firefly songs' while keeping watch.  

They were rewarded.  

We saw the first flashes, tossed our book aside and sprinted into the garden.  My oldest daughter is destined to be an entomologist, at the very least she is a total nature girl, and she had one in no time.  The youngest can't help but squash them in her wild attempts at catch.  And the middle one gets frustrated and mopes.  Sadly, my son didn't bat an eye at our squeals and continued talking on the phone to grampa.  

The fireflies are out.  Now summer has begun.


4 comments:

Adrienne said...

I consider myself to have very few childhood memories - serious blanks sometimes! BUT I DO REMEMBER LIGHTENING BUGS....which is what we called them!!! LOVE it!

Kathy said...

That silhouette and composition is just fantastic!

Susan @ Sunflower Status said...

Some of my fondest memories are of catching fireflies in the summer! Such fun!

Cynthia Meents said...

My husband is from Missouri, but we live in California. One of my favorite parts of going back for a visit is watching the fireflies come out in the evening. Just thinking about it is making me homesick, and MO was never even MY home!