Saturday, April 14, 2012

Turning Lemons into Lemonade


 Two weeks ago I was about to attempt a project when disaster struck.  The photograph I was going to decoupage somehow got scratched, and I had to scratch my project.  I was pretty ticked.  I didn't want to spend the money to reprint it--yet I wanted to salvage my idea.  So, I sat on it awhile, and then today it came to me.  Since the scratch was at the bottom of the middle picture, but trimming across the bottom of all three pictures wouldn't work, I separated them and cropped each one individually.  Each picture ended up being about 7 inches square.  I rounded the corners and then I decoupaged those on my canvas, stamping on a little saying at the bottom. 

I messed up the stamping about a million times, the irony of this was not lost on me.  The stamping sort of came off easily--at first anyway, then things started getting iffy--but it may have been because I stamped after the decoupage, just in case you have an inkling to try this yourself.  I'm pretty sure the decoupage might have smeared the stamps had I done it the other way around.  I am not an expert, but I've ruined a lot of things.  So, I'm slowly picking stuff up.


I'm sure the canvas (and remembering this experience) will put a smile on my face in the laundry room. 
 I spend a lot of time there.

3 comments:

Gillian said...

I LOVE this idea! I think it turned out perfectly : )

Susan @ Sunflower Status said...

Love this! What a great way to salvage a good project gone bad. (LOVE your laundry room too!)

Sarah C. said...

Love the end result! Such cute photos - perfect for the laundry room. I've had a few decoupage mistakes myself. I'm wondering if the ink makes a difference - sometimes it's perfect, other times a smeared mess.