Thursday, April 5, 2012

Old Dog


The past few months we've been watching our old dog struggle.  I've known about her bad hips, bad knees and now a mass in her leg, and I've known...it's coming.  This past week I've started to get the feeling it's worse, that she is in more pain than before, and that we have to start to think about what comes next.  And then I had the talk with the kids.  I really don't know how to be anything but honest with them, and when trying to sugar coat or lie (like for Santa, or leprechauns) I just come across fake.  Luckily, it doesn't matter much when they want to believe, and unfortunately, we want to believe that our poor old dog isn't that bad, isn't in that much pain, even when I know it isn't so.  But, I hope that now that we've had the talk, the kids will begin to see and start to understand.  And love her as much as possible in the time we have left.


the anderson crew

3 comments:

Jacci said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That's just heartbreaking. What a wonderful idea to get these photos with your sweet doggie.

The Smiths said...

Aww, I'm so sorry. We have a yellow lab that looks just like her. These are precious, priceless photos.

Diana said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet baby. These pictures a just beautiful, and what a lucky dog to go through life SO LOVED. I wish you and your family strength during what I know will be a difficult time.