Friday, April 27, 2012

Going Green

 One of my kids' favorite shows had an Earth day theme earlier this week.  My kids jumped right in, and started having an Earth party.  This is kid code for any excuse to make a mess, and since it was well into the witching hour, I wasn't happy.  When someone came around the corner asking me for cookies to decorate like our planet for their party, I may have lost it a little.  Toys were all over, and a chair was flipped.  I may have sat all my partying little girls down and had a good lecture discussion on what it really means to take care of the Earth.  What it means to be green.  Sure, they had the recycling and reusing part down, and even shouted out a few crafts we could do with jugs and cartons, but I was interested in talking about reducing.  Not just turning off lights and water when you aren't using them, but reducing waste in our landfills.  Taking care of our toys so they don't get broken, keeping together our puzzle pieces so we can pass them on to another family when we don't use them any more.  Taking care of our home.  Treating things with care.  Just like the Earth.

Then, because I'm not a total meanie, we talked about reusing a deflating balloon from the weekend, recycling some newspaper into paper mache in a fun little craft.  Then we actually did it, and they managed to pay attention long enough to reduce the amount of destruction to our house.



project 52 p52 weekly photo challenge my3boybarians.com




8 comments:

Danelle said...

Great interpretation of green!

Virginia Knowles said...

What a priceless pose!

Mrs. T. said...

GREAT project!

Great Scott said...

awesome project - i must try this!!! and that last photo is just the sweetest!

Donna said...

Great project. I love the final picture. So sweet.

Sara said...

What a great series of photos! I love the last one!

Sarahmumof3 said...

oh wow I have just found your blog and I LOVE it what wonderful photos you have here!

Ashley: The Greek Wife said...

This picture caught my eye from P52. I love it!