Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Good Reads


We were gathering up our library books and I had a hard time returning these two.  They've got beautiful illustrations & simple subjects (ABC & 123).   We gave them one last turn and put them in the library bag, making a mental note to revisit them.  Reading to my kids is something I love to do.  I could read Dr. Seuss until my tongue tied.  I can't tell you how excited I get when one of my kids is ready to listen to (or read themselves--joy!) chapter books.  Ahhh...Charlotte's Web, A Cricket In Times Square, The Hobbit, all the Narnia & Harry Potter books...  I have a hard time saying 'no' when a book is being shoved in my lap.  There aren't many things I feel secure about as a parent, but the love of reading in our house is something that gives me a sense satisfaction.  Math, on the other hand...we are working on ;)

It's amazing, though, how hard it is to find books I enjoy at this point in my life.  All the 'coming of age' books are wonderful, but what about already at 'the age'?  It seems I'm always drawn to the 'motherhood' subjects, yet I haven't really found one that has hit home with me.  Fiction or non-fiction, I don't care.  Perhaps the problem is that I'm searching the aisles in Walmart or Target while my kids are ripping through anything with Max & Ruby in it or wandering over to the video games.  That's how I came upon my current read, Good Enough is the New Perfect: Finding Happiness and Success in Modern Motherhood.  I'm only halfway through, and I'm not exactly devouring it.  But, I'm sure there will be some things I take away from it.  One thing, so far, is that I no longer consider myself 'stay at home.'  Not that there's anything wrong with that!  But, I do think I'm just 'stepping back' or 'taking time away.'  The fact that it's been an 11 year hiatus?  No worries.  I'll find something for the next phase of my life.  The book has encouraged me in that way.  There are lots of opportunities out there if you are willing to work hard and be flexible.  Having a nanny doesn't seem to hurt, either.  The hard work I can do.  But, in the meantime, I will keep searching for good reads.  

Got any?

No comments: