Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dealing With What You've Got

I continue to beat myself up over the tooth fairy debocle & wonder if I have permanently damaged the confidence of my sweet girl.  She is quiet & complacent.  Easy going & a people pleaser.  For some reason I worry about her.  I feel as though she 'pleases' because perhaps she doesn't have the confidence to just be herself.  I feel like she is harder to 'get.'  On the other hand, there is my oldest, my son.  He has always had an extra healthy dose of confidence.  He is never scared to speak up or speak out.  A first born thing?  Yes, I take stock in the whole birth order idea, but I do believe there is something else with him.  He has confidence, unlike me, but he also wears his emotions on his sleeve, as I do, and it makes it pretty easy to read him. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it any easier to parent him.


I took this picture when he was in preschool.  He, obviously, had no interest in being photographed.  And when I couldn't illicit the look I wanted, I declared I'd take the picture anyway and frame it.  And, that's what I did.  Everyone who saw it commented on it.  And I think I changed my view of photography because of it.  Sure, I wanted the angelic, cooperative vision of a portrait, but I learned that sometimes you just have to deal with what you are given.  And most often, that is more interesting.



Yup, that's my son.  He's got a birthday coming up, and I knew taking pictures of him would go something like this.  Better than the scowl?  Well, at least he's enjoying himself while attempting to 'ruin' (in his mind) pictures.


I want 'strips' like this of all my kids framed on the wall.  They each have their own special quirks, and I hope to have the patience to 'get' them all.

No comments: